Do I need a planning permit?

A planning permit is a legal document that gives permission for a use, development or subdivision on a particular piece of land.

A permit may be subject to a time limit or expire under specified circumstances. Melton City Council may impose conditions when granting a permit.

Council issue Planning Permits for a variety of reasons and projects within our municipality and are bound by the requirements of the Melton Planning Scheme and Planning and Environment Act 1987. Planning Permits may be required due to zoning or overlay regulations or other more particular provisions in the Scheme e.g. related to car parking reduction or liquor licences.

Some of the most common reasons people require a planning permit are for:

  • buildings and works within a business or industrial zone
  • starting a new use on your land
  • development of more than one dwelling on a piece of land
  • subdivision of land
  • removal of native vegetation
  • construction of a dam
  • displaying a sign
  • reduction in car parking
  • liquor Licences

Even minor matters may need a planning permit; the onus is on you to find out whether a permit is required.

The best way to find out whether you need a planning permit is to contact our Statutory Planning Department on 9747 7200.