Builders are responsible for protecting the following Council assets during the building process:
- kerb and channel
- drainage pits
- nature strips
- nature strip trees
Builders also have a responsibility to protect assets belonging to other authorities, such as communications, water, gas and power companies.
Builders, contractors, suppliers and trades people must ensure damage to assets is kept to a minimum and assets are repaired if damage occurs. Once construction is completed, it is the builder's responsibility to reinstate the nature strip (level out, top soil and seed).
Please read the Asset Protection Information Letter(DOC, 28KB) before you start the application as it provides important information on this process.
Asset Protection Application Form
The builder, owner builder or permit holder must complete an Asset Protection Application form.
Note: you will be prompted to either register or sign in enabling you to complete the online application form.
Apply and pay online: Asset Protection online application form
Apply in person by visiting one of our customer service centres:
- Melton Civic Centre, 232 High Street, Melton
- Caroline Springs Library and Learning Hub, 193-201 Caroline Springs Boulevard, Caroline Springs
- Melton Library and Learning Hub, 31 McKenzie Street, Melton
What happens next?
Once your application has been submitted:
- Council will inspect the assets at and adjacent to the address or addresses you provided on your application.
- This is referred to as the 'initial inspection' and will be carried out within 7 days of your application receipt. (Note: no permit will be issued, please retain your receipt for proof of payment.)
- NO construction activity is to commence until seven (7) days after your application is made, following that, you may commence your construction activity.
- Upon issuance of notice of completion or occupancy certificate, Council will conduct a 'final inspection'.
- We will contact you if there is any damage to assets that we need to resolve with you.
For more details on the process, please contact our Operations Department on 9747 7200.