Asset protection

Builders are responsible for protecting the following Council assets during the building process:

  • roads
  • footpaths
  • kerb and channel
  • drainage pits
  • nature strips
  • nature strip trees
  • signage
  • infrastructure.

Builders also have a responsibility to protect assets belonging to other authorities, such as communications, water, gas and power companies.

Builders, contractors, suppliers and trades people must ensure damage to assets is kept to a minimum, and assets are repaired if damage occurs.  Once construction is completed, it is the builder's responsibility to reinstate the nature strip (level out, top soil and seed).

The builder/permit holder must give written notice to Council seven (7) days prior to construction, detailing existing damages to any Council Assets which:

  1. are adjacent to the land (on all sides) to which the building permit relates
  2. is likely to be affected by the building works authorised by the building permit.

Please read the Asset Protection Information Letter(PDF, 42KB) before you start the application as it provides important information on this process.

The builder, owner builder or permit holder must complete an Asset Protection Application form and send it to our Road Assets Officer (Operations Department, PO Box 21, Melton 3337 or Fax 03 9743 9970).

Asset Protection Application Form(DOC, 34KB)

Asset Protection Application Form(PDF, 124KB)

What happens next?

Once your application has been submitted:

  1. Council will inspect the assets at and adjacent to the address or addresses you provided on your application.
  2. This is referred to as the 'initial inspection' and will be carried out within 7 days of this application receipt.
  3. Following that, you may commence your construction activity.
  4. Upon issuance of notice of completion or occupancy certificate, Council will conduct a 'final inspection'.
  5. We will contact you if there is any damage to assets that we need to resolve with you.

For more details on the process, please contact our Operations Department on 9747 7200.