Animal Registration and Renewal

All dogs and cats over three (3) months of age must be microchipped and registered with Council.  It is a legal requirement in Victoria as per the Domestic Animals Act 1994.

When completing your new animals' registration, please provide a copy of all relevant documents, including:

  • proof of microchip
  • sterilisation certificate, and
  • concession details (if applicable).

Please note: if a copy of all relevant documents are not provided, this may prevent you from receiving a reduced fee or we may not be able to accept the registration.

Note: all cats being registered must be sterilised.

New animal registration

Register your animal online

Please read Animal Registration important information(PDF, 37KB).  Refer to Domestic Animals Act 1994 for valid exemptions.

It is a requirement that Council charge the State Government Levy of $4.16 per registration.  This Levy is primarily used to fund responsible pet ownership educational programs and is included in the registration fee.  Fees help pay for services such as collecting stray and feral animals, operating the pound and prosecuting dog attacks.

If your animal is currently registered with another Victorian Council and you wish to transfer the registration to Melton City Council, please download the animal transfer form(PDF, 108KB).

Renew your animal registration

All pet registrations must be renewed before they expire on 10 April each year or penalties may apply.

Renew your animal registration online.

Receive your renewal notice via email

You can opt to receive your Animal Registration Renewal Notice via email, by registering at Council's eNotices portal.

Deceased or departed the area

If your pet has:

  • passed away, or
  • departed the area, i.e. no longer in the City of Melton,

you must notify Council by completing the deceased or departed animal online form.

Failure to do so may result in a fine.  Please ensure you update the animals microchip details with the corresponding Microchip registry.

Animal transfer

Animal transfers cannot be completed online. 

Please visit one of our Customer Service Centres with proof of your current registration with another Victorian Council.  To be eligible for a no fee transfer, proof of registration must be in the same owner name.

Download: Animal transfer form(PDF, 108KB).

Note: If you are not able to provide proof of registration, please proceed with the new animal registration.

Change of details

If you need to change your, or your animals details, you must notify Council in writing by completing the forms below. 

Use this form to update owner details such as change of surname, address within the City of Melton Municipality, update where the animal is kept or their microchip number.  

Use this form if you are transferring ownership of an animal currently registered with Melton City Council to an owner residing within the City of Melton. 

Use this form if your animal has deceased. Please ensure you also update the animal’s microchip details with the the corresponding Microchip registry

If you need to upload proof that your animal has been sterilised, you can do so online. 


All dogs and cats must be microchipped. You can get proof of microchipping from a vet or from the supplier of your pets microchip, and you must provide these details when registering your pet.

You can have your pet microchipped at any veterinary clinic.

What is a microchip?

  • a microchip is a tiny computer chip placed under the skin of your pet
  • it has a unique code consisting of 15 digits, which when scanned Rangers can identify and contact the owner
  • once in place it cannot be lost, removed or altered for the life of your pet
  • microchipping is not painful and does not cause harm to the animal
  • a microchip is separate to Council Registration

Why microchip my pet?

  • it is listed for life on the Australian Animal Register
  • if your pet is ever lost or impounded it can be identified and reunited with its owner.

Dangerous or menacing dog

A dangerous or menacing dog is a dog which has been declared by Council, in accordance with the Domestic Animals Act 1994.

Please note that dangerous or menacing dogs cannot be registered online. Please visit one of our Customer Service Centres to register your animal in person.

For more information regarding dangerous or menacing dogs please contact our Animal Management Unit on 9747 7200.

Restricted breed dogs

The Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires specific controls for the keeping of restricted breed dogs. The Victorian Government legislation restricts the following breeds:

  • American Pit Bull Terrier (or Pit Bull Terrier)
  • Fila Brasileiros
  • Perro De Presa Canarios (or Presa Canario)
  • Dogo Argentinos or
  • Japanses Tosas

Failure to declare the breed of your dog, if its one of the restricted breeds above, may cause you to be liable to a fine under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, or prosecution in the Magistrates Court.


Registration tags must be attached to your animals' collar at all times so that Council can contact you if your animal is lost or injured.

Please note: it is an offence under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 for you animal to not be wearing the prescribed registration tag.

Replacement Tags
Lifetime tags are supplied with registration.  If the tag is lost or damaged complete the application for a replacement tag, or visit one of our Customer Service Centres to order a new one.

How many animals can I have?

You can keep up to two dogs and two cats without a permit.

If you intend to house more than 2 dogs and/or 2 cats per property, a permit may be required.

For further information and to apply for a multiple animal permit visit our How many pets can I have webpage or contact us on 9747 7200.

Working dogs

A working dog is a dog used principally for droving, tending or working stock.  To be eligible for a reduced fee you will need to provide proof or a statutory declaration. 

Register your working dog online

or download: New animal registration form(PDF, 108KB)

Guide Dogs, Assistance Dogs, Federal/State Dogs

Guide Dogs, Assistance Dogs or Federal / State Dogs can be registered free of charge.

These registrations cannot be completed online.  Please visit one of our Customer Service Centres with proof of status.

Greyhounds registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV)

Greyhounds registered with GRV are exempt from registration fees, with the exception of Greyhound Adoption Program (GAP) greyhounds.

Proof of GRV registration must be provided.

Standard fees apply if your greyhound is not registered with GRV or is a GAP greyhound. These registrations cannot be completed online. Please visit one of our Customer Service Centres.

Membership of Approved Organisations

A reduced registration fee applies if you and your animal are current members of any of the applicable organisations listed below:

  • Dogs Victoria
  • Master Dog Breeders & Associates (MDBA)
  • Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
  • Australian National Cats Inc.
  • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.

Proof of membership must be provided at the time of registration as well as the applicable organisations registration certificate for the animal being registered.

Approved Obedience Training Organisations

To be eligible for the obedience trained reduced fee the animal must have successfully completed an obedience training program with one of the following organisations, who have been approved by the Minister for Agriculture as Approved Obedience Training Organisations:

  • Dogs Victoria
  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association
  • Four Paws K9 Training

A certificate of successful completion must be provided.



For more information, contact Customer Service on 9747 7200 or email: