The City of Melton provides homeowners and tenants with several at-call hard waste disposal options. Each financial year residents can:
- have one free hard waste collection from your property or
- one to two free drop-off visits to the Melton Recycling Facility (MRF) (one free visit with a double axle trailer, van or ute OR two free visits with a single axle trailer or a car boot. Trailers can only be filled to the same level as the side of the trailer.
Items in suitable condition may be dropped off by the collection team at the Resale Shop. This gives household goods a second life rather than them going to landfill or being broken down for recycling. You can also drop-off items directly to the Melton Resale Shop.
Hard waste collection from your property
Call us on 9747 7200 and we will book in a collection for you. We will electronically record your use of your ticket so you do not need to present your rates notice and you do not need to be at home for the collection to take place.
Collections take place anytime between 6am and 6pm.
Book your collection
- You may put out a maximum of three cubic metres (3m x 1m x 1m).
- Goods for collection must be on your property. Materials placed on the nature strip will not be collected. If you do not have a front yard or you live in a unit, please let us know when you make your booking. We will advise you of where to place your items, to make sure they get collected.
Items that can be put out for a hard waste collection:
- household furniture, household appliances, toys, playground equipment (dismantle swing sets)
- air conditioners and white goods. Refrigerator doors must be removed.
- mattresses, bed bases. Counted as one piece each; limit of 2 per collection
- pottery, ceramics and chinaware, boxed. Please wrap and label if in reusable condition
- tree stumps (max 30cm diameter), roots and branches (bundled and tied, max 1.5 metres long)
- scrap metal, old tin and other metal waste
- glass panes and mirrors. These must be wrapped, taped and clearly labelled.
- carpet, underlay, rugs (max 1.5m long)
- electronic waste ("e-waste") such as TVs, computers, monitors and peripherals such as keyboard and mouse. If recent models and still working, please delete personal data and label the equipment as working. Your TV or computer may be suitable for the Re-SaleShop
- hot water units
- packaging not suitable for fortnightly collection. Flatten and tie cardboard that does not fit into your kerbside recycling bin or that you are unable to take to the Melton Recycling Facility (no charge).
If you have something that isn't on the list, refer to our A-Z guide for your home. Anything with HW can be put our for hard rubbish.
Frequently asked questions
Why is the hard waste collection limited to three cubic metres?
The three cubic metre limit (3m x 1m x 1m or equivalent) allowance is the same as two single axle trailer loads at water level and therefore also requires two entitlements to be used. This keeps the service equitable for all users.
We also accept up to two mattresses (normally charged at $30 each at the transfer station) along with other materials presented within the collection limit.
Why can't I put my hard waste onto the nature strip, like in other council areas?
To have your collection picked up, items must be presented from within your property boundary, such as a driveway or front yard.
Materials on the nature strip make a neighbourhood unsightly and invites scavengers. It also invites other residents to contribute to your pile of unwanted goods. This can mean that the items you've put out may miss out on getting collected!
How can i dispose of additional hard waste after I've used my visit?
You can take your items to the Melton Transfer Station. Fees may apply so refer to the transfer station gatehouse fees.
I'm not sure if I can put my item out for hard waste.
If you have something that isn't on the list, refer to our A-Z guide for your home. Anything with HW can be put our for hard rubbish. If you're still not sure give us a call on 9747 7200.