Fencing information for registered owners

Obtain contact details for adjacent land owners using the Fencing Request Form (for registered owners only).

Apply online:

If you are having difficulties or disputes with your boundary fencing between neighbours, contact the Disputes Settlement Centre of Victoria on 1300 372 888 or visit Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.

Half Cost Fencing (for fences dividing Council land and private property)

Council is willing to contribute towards the cost for a replacement or repair of an existing boundary fence adjacent to an open space reserve, provided the following conditions have been met. The Half Cost Fencing Scheme is not for the construction of a new fence in new estates, but for the replacement of existing fencing.

  • Posts must be unseasoned Hardwood (not treated pine) rails are preferred to be Hardwood, but can be good quality treated pine (eg.CCA treated pine)
  • Wooden Fence must not exceed 6’4” (any extra height will be at the owner’s costs and may require a building permit)
  • Any alternative materials such as colour bond will be at the owner’s expense (Council will only pay the equivalent to a wooden fence)
  • Exposed Posts and Capping will be at the owner’s expense
  • Painting or Staining of the fence will be at the owner’s expense
  • Road Reserves (such as nature strips) are not included in the half-cost fencing policy
  • Any variations must be approved by Council prior to any works and the resident must bear half the cost of any variations
  • Tree Reserves less than 2m in width where directly adjacent to a Road Reserve or property frontage are NOT included in the half-cost fencing policy
  • Demolition and Removal of existing fence must be performed by the Fencing contractor
  • Council does not permit the installation of any gates or gateways as a personal and private access point into a public reserve
  • Proof of Public Liability Insurance must be produced from the Fencing Contractor prior to any commencement of any works.

Council requires 2 quotes for assessment and will inspect the property before entering into an agreement and on completion of the fence. Council inspectors can also inspect the progress of the fencing construction, especially if there are any problems or inconsistencies with quotes.

You are only required to pay your half of the fencing quote and Council will need a tax invoice from the fencing contractor in order to make the agreed payment.

Your 2 quotes should be sent to Council via:

Email:           records@melton.vic.gov.au
Post:             PO Box 21, Melton 3337
In Person:   Melton Civic Centre, 232 High Street, Melton 337

If you have any questions, please contact our Road Asset Technical Officer on 9747 7200.