Street stalls, advertising and fundraising

If you are on road related areas, Council land, or in a public place you may require a permit before you can conduct your activity. You will require a permit if:

  • you are a business using Council land or the footpath outside your premises for advertising signs, display goods or outdoor tables and chairs.
  • you are an organisation or group and want to have a street stall or distribute handbills
  • you are an organisation or group and want to conduct a highway, door knock or street collection on Council land
  • you plan to use any radio controlled model or vehicle within a reserve.

Footpath Trading Permit

To utilise Council land, you need to apply for a street trading permit if you want to:

  • provide alfresco dining as part of your food business
  • put up an A-frame, flags, bunting or other signage for your business
  • sell or display goods on the footpath or nature strip.

Your application will need to meet the footpath trading permit conditions. Non-compliance with these conditions could result in removal of permit.

In order to complete your permit application you will need:

If you wish to obtain a permit, please apply online through the Service Victoria online form.  The application will then be provided to Council for processing.

If your business is selling food, you must have a food business registration.

If you wish to permanently fix items on Council land or footpath you will require a planning permit.

Public Liability Insurance

You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $20 million to receive a permit. The permit must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:

Obligation to Insure
The Permit Holder shall at all times during the agreed Term, be the holder of a current Public Liability Policy of Insurance (“The Public Liability Policy”) in respect of the activities specified herein in the name of the Permit Holder providing coverage for a minimum sum of $20M (or more). The Public Liability Policy shall cover such risks and be subject only to such conditions and exclusions as are approved by the Council and shall extend to cover the Council in respect to claims for personal injury or property damage arising out of the negligence of the Permit holder.

Council's indemnity
The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holders performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder.

The Permit Holders liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act or omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.


Melton City Council have waived footpath trading fees for the current financial year, however you will still require a permit.


All permits are valid for 12 months. Ongoing customers will be issued with a renewal notice and invoice approximately 30 days prior to the expiration of their existing permit.

Permits are not transferrable

Permits cannot be transferred if a business is sold. If you have recently purchased a business with a street trading permit, then you must apply for a new permit.

Radio Control model or Vehicle permit application form

If you plan to use any radio controlled model or vehicle within a reserve you must apply for a:

Radio Control model or Vehicle permit(DOC, 258KB)

Other Use of Council Land

Street stalls, fetes and raffles on Council land
Street stalls, fetes and raffles on Council land will require a permit but without fees.

If advertising your event on Council land you will need to apply for a Community Event Signage Permit at least two weeks before the event. 

Highway, door knock or street collections/fundraisers
Highway, door knock or street collections/fundraisers will also require a permit but without fees.

Using Council land for roads or a circus
Other use of Council land, including roads or a temporary circus, will require a Local Laws Permit application form(DOC, 542KB) and fees.

You will need to make payment and include a valid certificate of currency insured for a minimum value of $10,000,000.