Recycling dos and don'ts
By disposing of waste in the right way we can all reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill. By diverting waste from landfill we can reduce greenhouse gas emissions, conserve natural resources and reduce energy and water use.
We encourage everyone to reduce the amount of waste produced, reuse items where possible and recycle.
Recycling is easy, just empty any food or liquid before you put items in the recycling bin and leave lids and labels on plastic bottles. Remember to take them out of the plastic garbage bag first!
What can I recycle?
Aluminium and steel
- steel cans
- aluminium cans
- clean scrunched-up aluminium foil
- clean aluminium pie trays
- empty aerosol cans
- glass bottles
- jars (remove lids first)
Plastics and cartons
- milk and juice cartons
- hard plastics (plastic that holds its shape) such as ice cream container and detergent bottles
Paper and cardboard
- newspapers, magazines, telephone books
- school and office paper
- cardboard, cereal and food boxes
- envelopes, junk mail, greeting cards
- egg cartons, pizza box
Still not sure? Refer to our A-Z guide for your home. Anything with RB goes in the recycling bin!
What can't I recycle?
- These belong in your red bin
Ceramic plates and drinking glasses
Clothing and shoes
- These items do not belong in the recycling bin and if they can’t be donated they belong in the waste bin
- Put lawn clippings or branches in your green bin
Compost food scraps
- These can be used on your garden as fertiliser.
- From 1 July 2020 the green waste bin (green lid) service is changing. From this date, all residents will be able to put their food waste into the green bin along with their garden waste. For more information visit our FOGO - Food and garden waste webpage.
- Fridges, washing machine, dryers etc can be taken to the Melton Recycling Facility, some charities or a scrap metal recycler
- Old TVs, mobile phones, batteries etc can be taken to the Melton Recycling Facility.
Motor oil containers
Still not sure? Refer to our A-Z guide for your home.