Environmental enhancement rate rebate

Eligible owners of a property larger than two hectares (approximately five acres), will be able to receive a rebate on their rates if they meet the requirements of the Environmental Enhancement Rate Rebate Policy. Land that has an approved Planning Permit for Subdivision is ineligible and the Rural Rate Rebate does not apply.

The policy includes controlling:

You must also meet the requirements of State and Federal Government which are not administered by Council.

How the Environmental Enhancement Rate Rebate Policy works

Each year Council will send eligible property owners a Proposed Works form and a copy of the Environment Enhancement Policy. The forms are sent in February to March of each year. You need to complete and return the Proposed Works form to Council by 31 March to qualify for the rebate. If you do not complete the form and return it to Council, the rebate will be withdrawn. The form should detail what environmental improvement works you are planning for your property including the control of weeds to prevent seeds setting.

Advice on completing the form or planning your property management is available from Council’s Land Management Officers who can meet you on your property. Land Management Officers can advise on weed control, pest animal control, soil erosion and identification of native vegetation. To arrange a visit, contact Council's Environmental Services on 9747 7200.

Land Management Officers approve your Proposed Works form or contact you to discuss any concerns. A copy of your approved Proposed Works form is then returned to you.

When you have completed the planned work, your property will be inspected by the Land Management Officer who will approve that the work has been completed. Work on your property must be completed by 30 September each year. Inspections will take place after 30 September.

Please note

  • Council does not take a zero tolerance approach to weed control and property management. A landholder can ask for unforeseen issues to be taken into account
  • The management principles for noxious and environmental weed control are to:
    1) contain the spread of weeds by stopping flowering and seed set
    2) reduce the level of infestation
    3) prevent reinfestation.
  • the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDTR) is responsible for the enforcement of noxious weed and pest animal control throughout the State
  • native vegetation and some endangered fauna are protected by law. Always check with Council first, when considering removing vegetation from your property as State and Federal vegetation protection laws may apply. This includes rock removal, accepting landfill, large scale herbicide spraying and other activities. Your land may be affected by other controls in zones or overlays in the Melton Planning Scheme that automatically trigger the need for a planning permit to remove, destroy or lop vegetation regardless of the land area. To change your land usage in any way, contact the Council's Planning Services on 9747 7200
  • Council will strictly adhere to the Information Privacy Act 2000 at all times
  • if Council withdraws your rate rebate you can appeal in writing to an independent panel within 28 days of receipt of the notice of failure. You must submit your appeal in writing.

For more information, contact Council's Environmental Services on 9747 7200.

Grants to help with land management

Land Management Officers can advise you on grants that are currently available to help with land management. Other income may be available through accepting “offsets” or putting a covenant on your property.

Urban Growth and Development Land

For more information on the Urban Growth Boundary and Precinct Structure Plans contact our Planning Services on 9747 7200 or eligibility for the Environmental Enhancement Rate Rebate contact our Environmental Services on 9747 7200.