Refugee Week 2020 (14-20 June)
Refugee Week (14-20 June ) provides an opportunity for the Australian public to celebrate the immense courage, resilience and valuable contributions people of refugee and asylum seeker background make to Australian society
This year Refugee Week has been moved online to ensure we can celebrate safely. There are a number of ways you can get involved and participate in the celebrations:
- Watch a webinar provided to you by Melton City Council in partnership with the Melton Interfaith Network focusing on the resilience of people with refugee experiences, who offer us insights about coping with uncertain times.
Watch Refugee Week 2020 webinar.
(Melton City Council's YouTube channel supports subtitles and closed captioning files).
- Visit the Refugee Council of Australia's Refugee Week website where you will find lots of great ideas on how to get involved in Refugee Week -films, podcasts, poems, videos, songs, and more.
- Volunteer with Djerriwarrh Community & Education who are seeking volunteer tutors for their Adult Migrant English Program. All volunteers are provided with comprehensive training and support. For more information on how you get involved please visit: Learning for Employment website.
- Donate to the Tom McCabe Fund for Refugee Youth assisting refugee young people who migrate to Australia under the humanitarian program. The fund highlights the connectedness and shared humanity embodied in Australian multiculturalism and is typical of the work undertaken by MiCare at a grassroots community level. To donate visit: MiCare website.
- Reducing Racism is an initiative of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) in engaging culturally diverse communities to help understand their rights and how to exercise them and make it easier to report racism. If you or someone you know is confronted with bigotry. discrimination and/or racism you can make a short, confidential report directly to the Commission through the Community reporting tool available on our website.
2019 Refugee Week images