Road Safety - Programs
Road safety of infants and children
Council provides free restraint fitting and checks at various events throughout the year. Please contact our Road Safety Officer for more information on 9747 7200.
As part of its road safety program, Council is running free 'Early Years Road Safety Presentations' to provide parents, guardians and carers of infants and young children with information on keeping their children safe in cars and as pedestrians.
The presentations will cover:
- recommended ways of restraining infants and young children in vehicles
- how to teach children essential road safety skills
- how to keep children safe as pedestrians
- ways in which parents can be good road safety role models for children
Council's Maternal and Child Health Parenting Support Workers will run the 'Early Years Road Safety Presentations' as part of new parent group sessions at various locations across the City of Melton on a regular basis.
For more information, contact Council on 9747 7200.
Road Safety Websites for Early Childhood
VicRoads Early Childhood Education
Road Safety Education Victoria
Early Learning Association Australia
Road safety for young drivers
L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program: L2P assists learner drivers who do not have easy access to suitable supervising drivers or a suitable motor vehicle an opportunity to go out with a mentor and hopefully gain the minimum driving experience of 120 hours.
L2P Mentor Flyer(PDF, 145KB)
For more information, contact Djerriwarrh Community and Education Services on 8746 1000.
Road safety for older drivers
The Road 2 Zero program for older drivers aims to:
- encourage the use of alternative forms of transport such as public transport
- educate the public on road safety issues for older road users
- encourage self-regulation of driving ability.
If you would like to hold a session at your local club or group please contact Council's Road Safety/Active Transport Officer on 9747 7200.
- VicRoads Older Drivers: download the Older Drivers' handbook, which is available in multiple languages and get other information from the VicRoads website
- RACV Years Ahead: A safe driving awareness session providing information and advice to groups such as senior citizens clubs, Probus clubs, church groups and retirement villages.
Road safety speed trailer
Melton City Council's 'Speed Awareness Trailer' is now on the streets. The trailer is used to alert drivers to the speed limit and their current speed. The speed awareness trailer will be placed on different local roads across the City each week to increase awareness of speed zones in local streets and around schools.
Road safety for motorcycles
For more information on road safety for motorcycles and their riders check out Spokes, or contact Council on 9747 7200.