Council has commenced work on the review of the Toolern Precinct Structure Plan (PSP) and the Toolern Development Contributions Plan (DCP).
Precinct Structure Plans (PSPs) are high level master plans for whole communities. PSPs layout roads, shopping centres, schools, parks, housing, and employment.
The Toolern PSP was one of the first Precinct Structure Plans to be prepared in Victoria.
The Toolern PSP and DCP is a long term plan for development. It describes how land in the Toolern PSP area is expected to be developed, and identifies the services required to support development and how it will be delivered.
Council has been implementing the Toolern PSP and DCP through processing permit applications for subdivision and development since 2010. In this time Council has identified a number of implementation problems including land use budget anomalies, and inaccurate DCP costings. Without this review Council may have difficulties in providing the required infrastructure to support the growth in a timely manner.
At the end of the review, Council will be seeking a planning scheme amendment to update the Toolern PSP and DCP documents. It is anticipated that the planning scheme amendment will occur mid-2022. These changes will ensure Council will receive a better level of funding toward future infrastructure needs and delivers a better level of development guidance through the PSP.
Toolern Review Scope
The review of the Toolern PSP and DCP documents includes the following tasks:
- Reviewing the recently adopted Cobblebank Metropolitan Activity Centre Urban Design Framework(PDF, 4MB) (UDF), and the Cobblebank Employment and Mixed Use UDF(PDF, 3MB) , to see if any elements in these UDFs need to be reflected in the Toolern PSP / DCP documents.
- Identification of obvious errors in the PSP / DCP documents such as reference to obsolete State Government policies and strategies, incorrect land areas stated in land use budgets, incorrect references, and contradictory statements.
- Completing the removal of the Paynes Road PSP area from the Toolern PSP / DCP which has been partly affected by previous amendments.
The review will make minor changes to the format of the Toolern PSP / DCP documents to improve their operation. The following matters are outside the scope of this review.
- Significant changes to the location of community infrastructure (such as active open space reserves) or activity centres.
- Changes to the location or amount of passive open space.
- Changes to the Toolern Native Vegetation Precinct Plan.
- Paynes Road PSP content.
Transport Project Review
Cardno have reviewed the transport projects in the Toolern PSP area and has prepared a report that provides:
- Functional Layout Plans (high level designs) for all transport projects
- Designs for all bridges
- Revised cost estimates for all transport projects
- New cross-sections for secondary and primary roads
- Land take plans that show how much land is required for each transport project
- A land take table that shows how much land is required for each transport project on a property specific basis
The transport project designs and costs use, and adapt, the Victorian Planning Authority’s Benchmark Infrastructure Costings.
Transport Project Review – Recommendations Report, Cardno, March 2022
- Cardno report and Appendices A – B (Intersection Project Costings, Road Project Costings, Land Take Table)(PDF, 1MB)
- Appendix D – Part 1 (Land Take Plans)(PDF, 16MB)
- Appendix D – Part 2 (Land Take Plans)(PDF, 12MB)
- Appendices E and F (Road Cross Sections and Bridge Costings)(PDF, 1MB)
- Appendix G – Part 1 (Intersection Functional Layout Plans)(PDF, 19MB)
- Appendix G – Part 2 (Intersection Functional Layout Plans)(PDF, 19MB)
- Appendix G – Part 3 (Intersection Functional Layout Plans)(PDF, 10MB)
- Appendices H and I (Road Functional Layout Plans and Bridge Designs)(PDF, 14MB)
Please find below guidance on projects that are being added to the Toolern PSP from the Paynes Road and Rockbank PSPs, and transport projects that are being deleted from the Toolern PSP:
New Intersection Projects
Deleted Intersection Projects
- Intersection 08 – this project is being deleted as it is in the Rockbank South PSP
- Intersection 09 – this project is being deleted as it is in the Rockbank South PSP
- Intersection 11 – there is no intersection 11 in the Toolern DCP
New Road Projects
- Bridge 01 – no design provided as this bridge has been constructed
- Bridge 02 – no design provided as this bridge has been constructed
New Bridge Projects
Deleted Bridge Projects
- Bridge 09 – this project is being deleted as it is near a new bridge (Bridge 16)
- Bridge 11 – this project is being deleted as it will form part of the new station design in this location
- Bridge 12 – this project is being deleted as the location of the bridge is not shown in the Toolern DCP
- Bridge 13 – this project is being deleted as the location of the bridge is not shown in the Toolern DCP
For copies of the CAD Drawings, please contact the Toolern Review Team on 9747 7200.
Council intends to amend the Toolern PSP and DCP documents as follows:
- Include the Paynes Road transport projects identified in the Rockbank DCP which have an external apportionment to the Toolern DCP. The Rockbank DCP designs and costs will be used for these projects.
- Include the Mount Cottrell Road transport projects identified in the Paynes Road PSP, which have an external apportionment to the Toolern DCP. The Paynes Road PSP designs and costs (where applicable) will be used for these projects.
- Apportion Mount Cottrell Road transport projects north of the Railway Line to the Paynes Road DCP.
- Remove projects that should be dealt with by the Rockbank South DCP (IT08, IT09, RD09 and RD10)
- Remove bridges that are no longer required (BD09, BD11, BD12 and BD13)
Community and Recreation Infrastructure Review
ASR Research have reviewed the projected number of households and population in the Toolern PSP area, and have provided the following advice to Council on the community and recreation infrastructure to be provided in the Toolern PSP area:
- Community and Recreation Project Review - Background Report, ASR Research, July 2020(PDF, 3MB)
- Community and Recreation Project Review - Recommendations Report, ASR Research, January 2021(PDF, 2MB)
- Proposed Level 1 and Level Community Centre Concept Designs, HEDE Architects(PDF, 314KB)
- Proposed Cost Sheets for Level 1 and Level 2 Community Centres, Cost Control(PDF, 494KB)
Heritage Overlay Review – Parklea (HO74)
Melbourne Water Drainage Service Scheme Review
- The review will update the size and location of drainage assets in the Toolern PSP based on Melbourne Water’s updates made to the drainage Development Services Schemes.
If you are aware of issues in the Toolern PSP or DCP documents that are within the scope of the review we would welcome your comments.
Please contact Council and we will review the issue and advise whether it can be resolved through the Toolern PSP Review.
Please send identified issues to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to discuss the project further, please contact the Toolern Review team on 9747 7200.