Council has commenced work on the review of the Toolern Precinct Structure Plan (PSP) and the Toolern Development Contributions Plan (DCP).
- Precinct Structure Plans (PSPs) are high level master plans for whole communities. PSPs layout roads, shopping centres, schools, parks, housing, and employment.
- Development Contributions Plans outline the payments that developers will make for the provision of transport and community infrastructure to meet the needs of the future community in that PSP area.
The Toolern PSP was one of the first Precinct Structure Plans to be prepared in Victoria.
The Toolern PSP and DCP is a long term plan for development. It describes how land in the Toolern PSP area is expected to be developed, and identifies the services required to support development and how it will be delivered.
Council has been implementing the Toolern PSP and DCP through processing permit applications for subdivision and development since 2010. In this time Council has identified a number of implementation problems including land use budget anomalies, and inaccurate DCP costings. Without this review Council may have difficulties in providing the required infrastructure to support the growth in a timely manner.
Council will use this web page to publish finalised background reports.
At the end of the review, Council will be seeking a planning scheme amendment to update the Toolern PSP and DCP documents. It is anticipated that the review will be nearing completion in late 2021. These changes will ensure Council will receive a better level of funding toward future infrastructure needs and delivers a better level of development guidance through the PSP.
Toolern Review Scope
The review of the Toolern PSP and DCP documents includes the following tasks:
- Reviewing the recently adopted Cobblebank Metropolitan Activity Centre Urban Design Framework(PDF, 4MB) (UDF), and the Cobblebank Employment and Mixed Use UDF(PDF, 3MB) , to see if any elements in these UDFs need to be reflected in the Toolern PSP / DCP documents.
- Identification of obvious errors in the PSP / DCP documents such as reference to obsolete State Government policies and strategies, incorrect land areas stated in land use budgets, incorrect references, and contradictory statements.
- Completing the removal of the Paynes Road PSP area from the Toolern PSP / DCP which has been partly affected by previous amendments.
The review will make minor changes to the format of the Toolern PSP / DCP documents to improve their operation. The following matters are outside the scope of this review.
- Significant changes to the location of community infrastructure (such as active open space reserves) or activity centres.
- Changes to the location or amount of passive open space.
- Changes to the Toolern Native Vegetation Precinct Plan.
- Paynes Road PSP content.
Transport Project Review
This project will prepare high level designs (Functional Layout Plans) for all transport projects, review the widths of secondary and primary arterial roads, and prepare revised cost estimates. This project uses, and adapts, the Victorian Planning Authority’s Benchmark Infrastructure Costings.
Council has engaged a consultant to prepare Functional Layout Plans and costings for all transport projects located within the Toolern PSP area.
Please find below links to the Functional Layout Plans prepared by Council’s consultant.
- Intersection 01(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 02(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 03(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 04(PDF, 903KB)
- Intersection 05(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 06(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 07(PDF, 247KB) – this design is from the Rockbank DCP (Toolern DCP – 50% of the project cost)
- Intersection 10(PDF, 2MB) – 50% of this project cost to be apportioned to the Paynes Road PSP
- Intersection 12(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 13(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 14(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 15(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 16(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 17(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 18(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 19(PDF, 2MB) – 50% of this project cost to be apportioned to the Paynes Road PSP
- Intersection 20(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 21(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 22(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 23(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 24(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 25(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 26(PDF, 2MB)
- Intersection 27(PDF, 888KB)
- Intersection 28(PDF, 2MB)
New Intersection Projects
Deleted Intersection Projects
- Intersection 08 – this project is being deleted as it is in the Rockbank South PSP
- Intersection 09 – this project is being deleted as it is in the Rockbank South PSP
- Intersection 11 – there is no intersection 11 in the Toolern DCP
Most road designs are included in the intersection designs (above). Below are links to segments of road missing from the above intersection designs:
New Road Projects
New Bridge Projects
Deleted Bridge Projects
- Bridge 09 – this project is being deleted as it is near a new bridge (Bridge 16)
- Bridge 11 – this project is being deleted as it will form part of the new station design in this location
- Bridge 12 – this project is being deleted as the location of the bridge is not shown in the Toolern DCP
- Bridge 13 – this project is being deleted as the location of the bridge is not shown in the Toolern DCP
Council will update this page to include the project cost sheets when then they are available.
For copies of the CAD Drawings, please contact the Toolern Review Team on 9747 7200.
Council intends to amend the Toolern PSP and DCP documents as follows:
- Include the Paynes Road transport projects identified in the Rockbank DCP which have an external apportionment to the Toolern DCP. The Rockbank DCP designs and costs will be used for these projects.
- Include the Mount Cottrell Road transport projects identified in the Paynes Road PSP, which have an external apportionment to the Toolern DCP. The Paynes Road PSP designs and costs (where applicable) will be used for these projects.
- Apportion Mount Cottrell Road transport projects north of the Railway Line to the Paynes Road DCP.
- Remove projects that should be dealt with by the Rockbank South DCP (IT08, IT09, RD09 and RD10)
- Remove bridges that are no longer required (BD09, BD11, BD12 and BD13)
Community and Recreation Infrastructure Review
ASR Research have reviewed the projected number of households and population in the Toolern PSP area, and have provided the following advice to Council on the community and recreation infrastructure to be provided in the Toolern PSP area:
- Community and Recreation Project Review - Background Report, ASR Research, July 2020(PDF, 3MB)
- Community and Recreation Project Review - Recommendations Report, ASR Research, January 2021(PDF, 2MB)
- Proposed Level 1 and Level Community Centre Concept Designs, HEDE Architects(PDF, 314KB)
- Proposed Cost Sheets for Level 1 and Level 2 Community Centres, Cost Control(PDF, 494KB)
Heritage Overlay Review – Parklea (HO74)
Melbourne Water Drainage Service Scheme Review
- The review will update the size and location of drainage assets in the Toolern PSP based on Melbourne Water’s updates made to the drainage Development Services Schemes.
If you are aware of issues in the Toolern PSP or DCP documents that are within the scope of the review we would welcome your comments.
Please contact Council and we will review the issue and advise whether it can be resolved through the Toolern PSP Review.
Please send identified issues to email@example.com
If you would like to discuss the project further, please contact the Toolern Review team on 9747 7200.