Rethink... Reduce... Reuse... Recycle: Events & Education
Is it really waste? Make rethinking, reducing, reusing & recycling your passion...
Here's a selection of activities and offers throughout the year:
- Super Saturdays: a local favourite! On the last Saturday of each month (unless otherwise advised) our Resale Shop offers 2 for 1 deals on selected preloved household items. Keep an eye on Council's Facebook page, call the Melton Recycling Facility ("the MRF") on 9747 5902, or head over to 33 Ferris Rd, Melton South and check the Resale Shop whiteboard to see what's coming up.
- The first Sunday in March is Clean Up Australia Day. Come along to help beautify a park near you with like-minded people, and enjoy a central BBQ afterwards. You can also set up your own site at any time of year, by registering with the national Clean Up Australia Day crew.
- November is all about promoting the joys of stepping lightly on our wonderful planet. We are proud to announce our inaugural Sustainable Lane at The City of Melton's premier annual community event; the Djerriwarrh Festival, 12-5pm on Saturday 18 November 2017. Come along to learn about managing food waste, hard waste, solar PV, using e-wood and more. Check out the mend-it display and purchase food created from excess produce. There's enjoy free entertainment, with a treasure hunt and obstacle course for kids to win great prizes for the family!
- In November and December, in preparation for fire prevention season, it's your chance to dispose of household quantities of green waste for free. Please contact Council on 9747 7200 for details from mid-October onwards each year.
Educational talks and tours
Council has a resource educator available to talk to students age 6 upwards, and the wider community including multicultural groups, retirement villages and community-focus groups such as Rotary and Lions. We also offer online resources and tours.
Recycle right - for a better world
Find out what happens to your recycling behind the scenes, with this great locally produced video clip.
Transcript - Recycle right - for a better world
Get it right on bin night!
Online dirtgirlworld for Early Learning Centres
The award-winning "get grubby" program is made just for preschoolers! The online learning resources engage them in the joys of outdoor play and learning about green living, and are available for free to a limited number of early learning centres, kindergartens and daycare centres registered with Melton City Council. Please note: places have now filled. However, we invite you to register your interest with us for future openings, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tours of the Melton Recycling Facility ("MRF")
School groups and community groups are invited to visit the Melton Recycling Facility by appointment, to better understand alternatives to landfill. The site includes:
- a Resale Shop for household items in good enough condition to be sold on cheaply to the community
- a Transfer Station for dropping off materials for specialised recycling (such as tyres, mattresses, whitegoods, concrete, green and electronic waste) as well as a landfill section for when resource recovery is not possible
- a Permanent Drop-off Site specifically for household quantities of paint, batteries (inc car batteries), fluoro lights and BBQ gas bottles. It's located between the car park and the Resale Shop.
Group visits to the MRF in Ferris Road, Melton South include a hosted viewing of the transfer station, with time to see the Permanent Drop-off Site and the Resale Shop.
Tours of the Rethink Centre, Visy
Our educational partnership with Visy enables groups to learn first-hand about what happens to recyclable resources once they leave the kerb. A visit to the Rethink Centre in Banyule comprises a site tour, educational session and themed group activity. Visits are tailored according to audience age and language ability (multicultural groups welcome).
Tours are free of charge* but are limited to a couple of schools per year. To discuss booking a tour, please contact us via email@example.com .
* Please note that school groups need to pay for and organise bus transport.
School talks on Rethink, Reduce, Reuse & Recycle!
Presentations about recycling and waste minimisation can be given on site by Council's resource educator and can be tailored for primary to lower secondary school. Classes should prepare for a visit by studying the relevant topic beforehand. Please ask our resource educator if you would like to receive online materials.
Presentations are given free of charge. Interested schools, multicultural groups and community networks are welcome to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org .
Other services for schools
Recycling services for schools certified in the Resource Smart (Sustainable Schools) program
Schools in the City of Melton that commit to certification in the Resource Smart (Sustainable Schools) Program are eligible to apply for an annually renewable kerbside recycling collection service from Council. The school signs an agreement with Council to complete the Waste or Core module of the Resource Smart program within nine months of signup. For more information on Resource Smart, please contact Environment Education Victoria on 9349 1806.
Worm farms for rubbish-free lunch programs
The City of Melton encourages ongoing programs such as rubbish-free lunches and indoor lunches for students, as these initiatives reduce litter in playgrounds, parks and waterways. Kindergartens, ELCs and schools that participate in a rubbish-free lunch program can apply for a free worm farm (worms at own cost). For more information, contactus via email@example.com.
Resources for teachers on waste and recycling
There are many readily available resources for teachers. Planet Ark's www.recyclingnearyou.com.au is a great starting point. You can also download the Sustain Me app to your mobile or computer, to find answers to how to recycle or responsibly dispose of all kinds of household and school materials.