Information for carers
Follow us on Facebook to stay connected, get involved and receive up to date information.
We facilitate support for carers programs under the Victorian Support for Carers Program Guidelines, which has expanded eligibility to include carers of all ages, with the aim of reducing stress, improving well-being and providing an opportunity to meet individuals with similar experiences.
- Family Carer’s Group: meets on the first Thursday of the month from 5.30pm – 7pm at the Absolute Kaos Play Centre and Café (86 – 88 High Street, Melton).
- Carer’s Social Calendar: provides social and networking opportunities for carers of people living with a disability. This group meets monthly for social outings and lunches to various venues around Melbourne.
- Carers Information Sessions and Carer Big Day Out: are run throughout the year and information can be found via our website and facebook page at the time of the event. Alternatively, you can contact our Support for Carers Program Officer on 9747 7200.
The Victorian Carer Card recognises the significant contribution carers make to the lives of people they care for and the communities in which they live. The purpose of the Carer Card Program is to recognise the incredible unpaid work that carers undertake in our community, providing a wide range of discounts and benefits on offer from businesses, local government and community organisations in acknowledgement of this contribution.
Carer transport concessions are also available for Carer Card holders, including half price public transport on weekdays, free weekend travel vouchers and free travel during Carers week. This is in addition to the free travel in two consecutive zones on weekends that carers are currently entitled to. Cardholders also have access to two or four free off-peak travel vouchers per year (depending on where they live) and can register for free travel vouchers via the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) website.
To be eligible for a Carer Card you must be a resident of Victoria and either:
- the primary carer of a person with a disability, severe medical condition or mental illness, or someone who is frail aged or in need of palliative care
- a foster, kinship or respite carer.
You can confirm your eligibility by:
- providing your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) or your Department of Families, Fairness and Housing Vendor Number if you receive a carer payment or allowance
- having a medical professional verify your eligibility.
Professional carers that receive a wage for providing care are not eligible.
Eligible carers can apply online.
To find out if you are eligible or to be sent an application form contact the Carer Card team by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 901 958.
For further information on the Carer Card Program for both Carers and businesses, visit the Carer Card website.