Fire restrictions and burning off

Warnings, incidents and planned burns are all displayed on the VicEmergency website, the single location for all emergency information in Victoria.

Burning off

In the Declared Fire Danger Period a permit is required from the CFA to burn off. Applications for a permit to burn within the Declared Fire Danger Period must be applied for via the CFA website.

No burning off is permitted on properties less than five acres (or two hectares) at any time.

Before burning any vegetation on properties of more than five acres (or two hectares) thorough planning and preparations must be conducted.


Fire restrictions

The Fire Danger Period is when CFA restricts the use of fire in the community which helps prevent fires from starting. CFA declares the Fire Danger Period for each municipality at different times in the lead up to the fire season depending on the amount of rain, grassland curing rate and other local conditions.

A Total Fire Ban (TFB) declaration is a regulatory control to minimise the risk of igniting fires. A TFB day prohibits the lighting of any fires in the open air; the use of tools and equipment that use a naked flame or generate sparks; and certain machinery in the open air. Specific advice is provided on the CFA website on declaration of Total Fire Ban days and about use of barbecues on a Total Fire Ban day.

The Fire Danger Ratings predict how a fire would behave and how difficult it would be to extinguish. The higher the rating, the more dangerous the conditions.

To view current information on the Fire Danger Ratings, Total Fire Ban days or if fire restrictions are in force in the City of Melton visit the CFA website.