State Budget 2022/23: A win for Melton Hospital; Melton Highway; Waste
Published on 03 May 2022
Melton City Council has welcomed the inclusion of more than $900 million to build a new Melton Hospital in the Victorian State Budget 2022/23, among several key announcements today.
The State Government has announced that the new Melton Hospital will include a 24-hour emergency department, more than 100 medical and surgical beds, an intensive care unit, maternity and neonatal services, more mental health services, interventional services and ambulatory care. It follows the government’s business case and land acquisition for the project.
Funding has also been allocated towards Melton Highway partial duplication works, planning for the Western Interstate Freight Terminal, and several much-needed new and upgraded local schools.
- Melton Hospital: $900 million - $1 billion towards a new Melton Hospital in Cobblebank
- Melton Highway: $14.9 million to duplicate a section of the road in Plumpton
- Western Interstate Freight Terminal: $6.1 million towards planning
- Local schools: New Aintree Secondary School, new Aintree Specialist School, new Brookfield Primary School, Staughton College upgrade, Aintree Primary School next stage, Diggers Rest Primary School modernisation, and Cobblebank Secondary land acquisition.
- New bus services for Diggers Rest
- Growing Suburbs Fund: Council will have the opportunity to apply for funding from a $50 million pool available to support all growth areas to fast-track infrastructure projects
City of Melton Mayor Cr Goran Kesic:
“We’re thrilled at the exciting news delivered in the State Budget for the City of Melton and we extend our appreciation to Victorian Government for recognising our needs as one of Australia’s fastest growing areas.
“This level of funding will truly make the Melton Hospital a reality. It will provide much-needed healthcare locally and will create quality local jobs. It’s a credit to our whole community who campaigned and advocated strongly with us for this vital facility.
“We’ve been advocating for a commitment from the State Government to make our roads safer and reduce commute times, so it’s fantastic that part of the Melton Highway will be duplicated.
“The Western Interstate Freight Terminal is vitally important for Melbourne’s outer west. It’s a project that will create thousands of ongoing local jobs, reduce truck congestion on our roads, improve freight movement across the west, and support commercial investment.
“The Melton Hospital and Western Interstate Freight Terminal are transformational projects that together will help attract commercial investment and unlock 100,000 jobs by 2050.
“We look forward to learning more details about all the projects funded for the City of Melton and working with the State Government to meet the needs of our growing community now and in the future.”