Council’s response to COVID-19
Published on 22 March 2020
UPDATED Sunday 22 March 2020:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Melton City Council has made the difficult decision to close our community facilities. As of Monday 23 March, Council-managed, community facilities will be closed until further notice to the general public. This includes our libraries, community centres, youth centres, senior’s centres, community halls, sports pavilion/community rooms, Melton Indoor Recreation Centre and Caroline Springs Leisure Centre.
Only our essential early childhood services will be operating from centres, including occasional care, long day care and kindergarten. Maternal and Child Health services home visits and centre appointments are currently being delivered by telephone. Immunisation sessions will also continue to operate. Access to these services may change at short notice, in accordance with government advice.
We understand this impacts our community, but we are acting to protect the health and wellbeing of our residents and staff. Council encourages everyone in our community to follow government health advice and practice safe social distancing.
We will provide more information soon about specific facilities.
Tuesday 17 March 2020:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Melton City Council is taking a number of actions to reduce the risk to our community.
On Monday 16 March, the Victorian Government declared a State of Emergency in Victoria until midnight on Monday 13 April. The Government has also banned gatherings of more than 500 people and Council has made the decision to cease a number of events and programs until further notice.
In line with this, the following Council events, programs and activities have been cancelled:
- Flavour Fest
- Outdoor Cinema screening of Inside Out
- Heritage Festival
- Kinder Readiness Information Sessions and Kinder Open Week
- Baby Makes Three program
- Supported Playgroups and Activation Playgroups
- Imagination Magic
- Timbertop Children’s and Community Centre grand opening (postponed to a later date)
- This Girl Can events
- Library events and programs
- Art workshops and exhibition openings
- Heart Foundation Walking Groups
- Road Safety Forum
- Tech & Tea Program
- Active & Engaged Seniors Project
- Community centre programs will be suspended by the end of next week, inclusive of any school holiday activities.
- Men’s Shed programs
- Melton GO program
- Ageing Well exercise group
- Citizenship ceremonies
- Youth School Holiday Program
- IPlay at Leisure Centres
- Ihop program at Kurunjang and Brookside
- Kids Fit Kinder Gym
- Strength Training
- National Youth Week events and programs
- City of Melton Youth Grants and Awards Event
- All drop in programs at Taylors Hill and Melton Youth Centre
- Sports Club Mental Health Forum
- Active April activities
While our customer service centres will remain open, we encourage customers to use our online services at melton.vic.gov.au or phone us on 9747 7200.
Our critical and essential services such as aged care, maternal and child health, immunisation and waste collection will continue. If there are direct service changes, residents will be notified.
We will continue to closely monitor the situation and follow advice from government authorities. As the situation changes, information regarding other Council services, activities and events will be released via our website (melton.vic.gov.au) and social media channels.
For more information about COVID-19 visit dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus or call the coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398 (24 hours).
As this is a rapidly changing situation, please visit melton.vic.gov.au/COVID19 for the most up to date information on Council events, services, programs and venues.