Rethink... Reduce... Reuse... Recycle: Events & Education
Is it really waste? Make rethinking, reducing, reusing & recycling your passion...
Free compost for our community is back in May!
Council is delighted to once again be partnering with Veolia Organics to bring the community free quality compost, recycled from kerbside green waste collections. Self-serve compost will be available in home-use quantities to community members with proof of residential ID (BYO bags/buckets, limits apply. No trailers.) Selected dates and times only; please check our Events pages for details.
Here's a selection of other activities throughout the year:
- Super Saturdays: a local favourite! On the last Saturday of each month (unless otherwise advised) our Resale Shop offers 2 for 1 deals on selected preloved household items. Keep an eye on Council's Facebook page, call the Melton Recycling Facility ("the MRF") on 9747 5902 , or head over to 33 Ferris Rd, Melton South and check what's coming up.
- The first Sunday in March is Clean Up Australia Day. Come along to help beautify a park near you with like-minded people, and enjoy a central BBQ afterwards. You can also set up your own site at any time of year, by registering with the national Clean Up Australia Day crew.
- November is all about National Recycling Week, with activities and offers such as free green waste drop off, and free compost. You can also check out our events calendar for listings.
Educational talks and tours
Council has a resource educator available to talk to students age 6 upwards, and the wider community including multicultural groups. We also offer online resources and tours.
Recycle right - for a better world
Find out what happens to your recycling behind the scenes, with this great locally produced video clip.
Transcript - Recycle right - for a better world
Get it right on bin night!
Online dirtgirlworld for Early Learning Centres
The award-winning "get grubby" program is made just for preschoolers! The online learning resources engage them in the joys of outdoor play and learning about green living, and are available for free to a limited number of early learning centres, kindergartens and daycare centres registered with Melton City Council. Waste Services has just a few places left in its subscription to dirtgirlworld. So express your interest to us now, at email@example.com.
Tours of the Melton Recycling Facility ("MRF")
School groups and community groups are invited to visit the Melton Recycling Facility by appointment, to better understand alternatives to landfill. The site includes:
- a Resale Shop for household items in good enough condition to be sold on cheaply to the community
- a Transfer Station for dropping off materials for specialised recycling (such as tyres, mattresses, whitegoods, concrete, green and electronic waste) as well as a landfill section for when resource recovery is not possible
- a Permanent Drop-off Site specifically for household quantities of paint, batteries (inc car batteries), fluoro lights and BBQ gas bottles. It's located between the car park and the Resale Shop.
Group visits to the MRF in Ferris Road, Melton South include a hosted viewing of the transfer station, with time to see the Permanent Drop-off Site and the Resale Shop.
Tours of the Rethink Centre, Visy
Our educational partnership with Visy enables groups to learn first-hand about what happens to recyclable resources once they leave the kerb. A visit to the Rethink Centre in Banyule comprises a site tour, educational session and themed group activity. Visits are tailored according to audience age and language ability (multicultural groups welcome!).
Tours are free of charge* but are limited to a couple of schools per year. To discuss booking a tour, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org .
* Please note that school groups need to pay for and organise bus transport.
School talks on Rethink, Reduce, Reuse & Recycle!
Presentations about recycling and waste minimisation can be given on site by Council's resource educator and can be tailored for primary to lower secondary school. Classes should prepare for a visit by studying the relevant topic beforehand. Please ask our resource educator if you would like to receive online materials.
Presentations are given free of charge. Interested schools, multicultural groups and community networks are welcome to contact us via email@example.com .
Other services for schools
Recycling services for schools certified in the Resource Smart (Sustainable Schools) program
Schools in the City of Melton that commit to certification in the Resource Smart (Sustainable Schools) Program are eligible to apply for a kerbside recycling collection service from Council. The school signs an agreement with Council to complete the Waste or Core module of the Resource Smart program within six months of signup. For more information on Resource Smart, contact Environment Education Victoria on 9349 1806.
Worm farms for rubbish-free lunch programs
The City of Melton encourages ongoing programs such as rubbish-free lunches and indoor lunches for students, as these initiatives reduce litter in playgrounds, parks and waterways.
Kindergartens, ELCs and schools that participate in a rubbish-free lunch program can apply for a free worm farm (worms at own cost). For more information, contactus via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for teachers on waste and recycling
There are many readily available resources for teachers. Planet Ark's www.recyclingnearyou.com.au is a great starting point. You can also download the Sustain Me app to your mobile or computer, to find answers to how to recycle or responsibly dispose of all kinds of household and school materials.