You must register all dogs and cats over the age of three months with Council. You must renew pet registrations before they expire on 10 April each year or penalties may apply.
Animal Registration form (includes current fees)
Renew an animal registration online
Tags must be on your pet's collar at all times so we can contact you if your animal is lost or injured. Fees help pay for services such as collecting stray and feral animals, operating the pound and prosecuting dog attacks.
Change of dog ownership details
You must complete the change of animal registration form if:
- you change address or contact details (within Melton Shire or in another Council area)
- you sell or give away your pet (to someone in Melton Shire or in another Council area)
- your pet has been desexed
- your pet is now deceased
Failure to do so may result in a fine. Please ensure you update the animal’s microchip details with the Australian Animal Register.
How many dogs/cats can I have?
You can keep up to two dogs or two cats without a permit. To keep more than 2 dogs or 2 cats you will need to apply for a permit and provide a letter from your neighbours.
Application to keep more than two animals (.doc) OR Application to keep more than two animals (.pdf)
Letter of advice (.doc)
All dogs and cats must be microchipped. You can get proof from a vet or from the supplier of your pet’s microchip, and you must provide this to register your pet.
You can have your pet microchipped at any veterinary clinic.
What is a microchip?
- a Microchip is a tiny computer chip placed under the skin of your pet.
- it has a unique code, and when scanned rangers can identify the owner.
- once in place it cannot be lost, removed or altered for the life of your pet.
- microchipping is not painful and does not cause harm.
Why microchip my pet?
- it is listed for life on the Australian Animal Register.
- if ever lost and taken to a pound or vet it will be scanned for a microchip.
- it can be easily identified and the owner will be contacted.
For more information, contact Council's Customer Service on 9747 7200.