Pet registration and microchipping
You must register all dogs and cats over the age of three months with Council. You must renew pet registrations before they expire on 10 April each year or penalties may apply.
Animal Registration form (includes current fees)(PDF, 95KB)
Renew an animal registration online
Tags must be on your pet's collar at all times so we can contact you if your animal is lost or injured. Fees help pay for services such as collecting stray and feral animals, operating the pound and prosecuting dog attacks.
New reduced registration fees
Microchipping is still compulsory in order to register your pet but it no longer entitles you a reduced fee. To obtain reduced registration fees for your pet from 11 April 2013 your pet must be one of the following:
Change of dog ownership details
You must notify Council in writing by completing the forms below if:
Failure to do so may result in a fine. Please ensure you update the animal’s microchip details with the Australian Animal Register.
How many dogs/cats can I have?
You can keep up to two dogs or two cats without a permit. To keep more than 2 dogs or 2 cats you will need to apply for a permit and provide a letter from your neighbours.
Permit application for keeping more than two animals(DOC, 281KB)
All dogs and cats must be microchipped. You can get proof from a vet or from the supplier of your pet’s microchip, and you must provide this to Council when you register your pet.
You can have your pet microchipped at any veterinary clinic.
What is a microchip?
- a microchip is a tiny computer chip placed under the skin of your pet.
- it has a unique code, and when scanned rangers can identify the owner.
- once in place it cannot be lost, removed or altered for the life of your pet.
- microchipping is not painful and does not cause harm.
- a microchip is not Council Registration.
Why microchip my pet?
- it is listed for life on the Australian Animal Register.
- if ever lost and taken to a pound or vet it will be scanned for a microchip.
- it can be easily identified and the owner will be contacted.
For more information, contact Customer Service on 9747 7200.