Council gives 'public notice' of meetings, elections and proposals where members of the public have a right to make a submission under the Local Government Act.
'Public notice' means a notice published in a newspaper generally circulating in the Melton municipal district.
Official Melton City Council public notices are published in The Age and copies of the notices are often published in the Melton Leader, Melton Star and Melton and Moorabool Weekly.
Examples of when a Council is required to give public notice include:
- Council meetings and some committee meetings
- making a local law
- adopting the Annual Budget
- declaring a general or special rate
- adopting a Council Plan
- voters' roll and election matters
- sale or lease of land
- some road works, traffic management and drainage proposals